Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pine Fresh

If you are going to donate an item to charity and think "Someone could use this," then throw it away. Sure, someone could use your old, crusty air fresheners. But nobody will. If the value and purpose of your item is not obvious then it is trash. Your item is trash. A common problem at the Donation Location starts at home. A donor will be sorting through their belongings, making a pile for trash and one for charity. A toy that has seen better days, but might find a special place in a child's heart makes it into the charity pile. A book, still readable but with the cover torn off, goes in the trash. Now one pile begins to resemble the other and the donor begins to think, "Why am I doing this? This is all good stuff." Next thing you know, I'm debating the value of air fresheners that seem to have been stunt doubles for toilet paper. And then they let me in on the epiphany they had at home when they became to lazy to evaluate their belongings, "Well, someone could use this." Could they? Because I don't think they could, and if I'm not mistaken I'm the one who spends 40 hours a week selling used stuff to people. You're a jackass who wants to feel like he's "going green" by giving his shit to charity. Really you just want to get rid of your crap. Maybe poor people should be grateful for whatever you toss their way. Or maybe lower income doesn't mean lower standards and no dignity. Oh, you'd like tax receipt? Yeah, better get the deduction for your used pie pans. What's the point of "helping" people if you can't benefit from it. I'm done. I need to go take my inhaler.

1 comment:

  1. The moment I've been waiting for! THE BLOG GETS SERIOUS. We need a way of getting this post directly to the inboxes of our chronic donors.

    ReplyDelete